Μπαρ Χάρμπορ, Μέιν
It’s important for you to understand your local laws if you want to become an Airbnb host. We provide a platform and marketplace, but we don’t provide legal advice. Even so, we want to share some information to help you understand laws and other rules that relate to short-term rentals in the City of Bar Harbor, ME. This information can also be found on the Town’s website.
All Short-Term (formerly vacation) rentals must be registered with the Town of Bar Harbor on an annual basis, prior to rental. Previously registered rentals must re-register on or before May 31 annually. Registration is under the management of the Code Enforcement Officer.
- An inspection will be scheduled with the property owner upon submission of the completed form and payment of the registration fee.
- A registration card will be issued after completion of the inspection and when all requirements are met.
- The card will certify that the applicant has met all requirements and passed the required inspection.
- The registration card must be posted on the premises of the rental unit for convenient inspection by a rental occupant.
- Registration does not relieve the property owner from the obligation to obtain any additional permits necessary.
- Failure to comply with the requirements above will constitute a violation under the Bar Harbor Land Use Ordinance.
- An appeal from the action of Code Enforcement may be sought through the powers and responsibilities in the Land Use Ordinance, Chapter 125, § 125-103.
All Short-term rental properties must pass an inspection prior to the issuance of the registration card. Properties must be scheduled for re-inspection every three (3) years.
- Short-Term Rental Inspection Checklist
- Egress Window Requirements
- Egress Window Video
- Fire Extinguisher Facts
- Smoke and Carbon Monoxide Alarms
- Fuel Gas Detection Requirements
Additional forms & information
- Top 10 Reasons for Failing a Short-Term rental inspection
- Chapter 174: Short-Term Rental Regulations
- Short-Term Rentals - Land Use Ordinance
- Short-Term Rental: Includes vacation rental, vacation rental-1 (VR-1) and vacation rental-2 (VR-2)
- Vacation Rental-1 (VR-1): A dwelling unit, or portion thereof, that is the primary residence of the property owner or on the owner’s primary residence property and is rented to a person or a group for less than 30 days and a minimum of two nights. The rental of a portion of the dwelling, such as a bedroom, must be located in the principal structure housing the dwelling unit.
- Vacation Rental-2 (VR-2): An entire dwelling unit that is not the primary residence of the property owner and is rented to a person or a group for less than 30 days and a minimum of 4 nights.
Please reach out to the Bar Harbor Code Enforcement Office with additional questions.
Adding registration details to your listing(s)
You can add registration details, like a registration or permit number, to your listing. To add this number to your listing, go to Listings, select the listing you want, and add the number under Regulations.
It's also important to understand and abide by other contracts or rules that bind you, such as leases, condo board or co-op rules, HOA rules, or rules established by tenant organizations. Please read your lease agreement and check with your landlord if applicable.
Our commitment to your community
We’re committed to working with local officials to clarify how local rules impact the short-term rental community. We will continue to advocate for changes that will enable people to share their homes.
- ΕπισκέπτηςΠότε να στείλετε μήνυμα στον οικοδεσπότη σαςΜπορείτε να κάνετε κράτηση χωρίς να επικοινωνήσετε με τον οικοδεσπότη εκ των προτέρων, αλλά καλό είναι να στείλετε μήνυμα στον οικοδεσπότη α…
- ΕπισκέπτηςΕπαληθεύστε τον αριθμό τηλεφώνου σαςΑφού προσθέσετε τον αριθμό τηλεφώνου στον λογαριασμό σας, οι επισκέπτες, οι οικοδεσπότες και η Airbnb θα έχουν τη δυνατότητα να επικοινωνήσο…
- ΕπισκέπτηςΕπικοινωνία με τους οικοδεσπότεςΑν θέλετε να μάθετε περισσότερα σχετικά με μια καταχώρηση, έναν οικοδεσπότη ή μια εμπειρία πριν κάνετε κράτηση, μπορείτε να στείλετε μήνυμα …