The Bridge Flat-Old Corn Mill, Oakworth, Yorkshire

Superhost

Ολόκληρος χώρος: συγκρότημα ενοικιαζόμενων καταλυμάτων. Οικοδεσπότης: Nicole

  1. 6 επισκέπτες
  2. 2 υπνοδωμάτια
  3. 3 κρεβάτια
  4. 1 μπάνιο
Ολόκληρο κατάλυμα
Θα έχετε ολόκληρη την ιδιοκτησία (διαμέρισμα) στη διάθεσή σας.
Αυστηρός καθαρισμός
Αυτός ο οικοδεσπότης δεσμεύτηκε στη διαδικασία αυστηρού καθαρισμού 5 βημάτων της Airbnb.
Πολύ γρήγορο wifi
Με ταχύτητα 61 Mbps, εσείς και όλη η ομάδα σας μπορείτε να συμμετάσχετε σε βιντεοκλήσεις ή να παρακολουθήσετε βίντεο.
Check-in χωρίς παρουσία οικοδεσπότη
Ολοκληρώστε την άφιξή σας εύκολα με το κουτί φύλαξης κλειδιών.
Our beautifully converted Mill building in Oakworth set within a half-acre garden incorporates a gorgeously private 2 bedroom flat. The Old Corn Mill, which houses Bridge Flat, has in fact over time had several uses - from a shuttle mill, to a workshop for the once grand estate of Sir Isaac Holden. We live in the flat above, so close enough to ensure you have everything you need, but with your own entrance & parking area, you would think you were staying away from it all, in the countryside.

Ο χώρος
Oakworth is perfectly situated close to the historic cobbled main street of Haworth, in the heart of Bronte Country, just up the road from the 'Railway Childrens' Oakworth Station, and backing onto Holden Park - a victorian creation of formed caves and walkways, housing a play park, bowling green, and incorporating Holden Park woods.

The flat offers a wonderful base for guests looking to explore the local area, with charming independent shops, pubs and restaurants as well as venture out into the beautiful Yorkshire Dales.

Oakworth is ideal for mountain biking with many tracks and trails starting from the doorstep, also the area is popular with road bikers too, indeed the local area has been used when the tour de France visited the UK and the local roads feature regularly in the annual tour de Yorkshire road race, we can offer guests secure bicycle garaging with sockets for E-bike charging on request.

It is a 5 minute drive to the rugged ‘Wuthering Heights’ moors, which inspired the English literary Bronte sisters, with commanding views from Top Withens. Just around the corner is the famous Keighley and Worth Valley Railway, an authentic steam railway brought to prominence in the film The Railway Children.

You will find Haworth Main Street within a 20 minute walk or 2 minute drive, with the Bronte Parsonage Museum, Haworth Church and some wonderful shops and eateries. For the active, there are lots of breathtakingly beautiful walks and cycle routes right from the door of the flat.

Haworth hosts many themed events throughout the year. The 1940’s weekend in May is extremely popular and transports you back to 1940’s wartime, complete with the outfits, music and vehicles from the time. Haworth also hosts the 1960’s weekend in June, ‘Hawortheen’ at the end of October and ‘Steampunk’ in November. Haworth’s Victorian Christmas really gets you into the Dickensian Christmas spirit with events including ‘Scroggling the Holly’ and the ‘Torchlight Procession’. The ‘Santa Special’ at Keighley and Worth Valley Railway is also much loved by families.

The Yorkshire Dales National Park is a 15 minute drive to the north. The market town of Skipton, named "The Gateway To The Dales", is a true gem with Skipton Castle and many interesting shops. Bolton Abbey is picturesque and only a short drive. You can also enjoy a visit to Ilkley, Halifax, Saltaire, Hebden Bridge and a little further afield are Harrogate and York.

Πού θα κοιμάστε

Υπνοδωμάτιο 1
1 κρεβάτι queen size
Υπνοδωμάτιο 2
1 κουκέτα

Τι προσφέρει αυτός ο χώρος

Θέα σε πάρκο
Θέα σε κοιλάδα
Κουζίνα
Πολύ γρήγορο wifi – 61 Mbps
Δωρεάν χώρος στάθμευσης σε ιδιωτικό δρόμο στις εγκαταστάσεις – 5 θέσεις
HDTV 55" με Amazon Prime Video, Apple TV, Chromecast, Netflix, premium καλωδιακή σύνδεση, Κλασική καλωδιακή τηλεόραση
αίθριο ή μπαλκόνι: ιδιωτική
Πίσω αυλή: κοινόχρηστη – Χωρίς πλήρη περίφραξη
Επιτρέπεται αποθήκευση αποσκευών
Παιδικά βιβλία και παιχνίδια

Προσβασιμότητα

Φωτισμένη διαδρομή προς την είσοδο των επισκεπτών

Επιλέξτε ημερομηνία άφιξης

Προσθέστε τις ημερομηνίες του ταξιδιού σας, για να δείτε συγκεκριμένη τιμή
Άφιξη
Προσθήκη ημερομηνίας
Αναχώρηση
Προσθήκη ημερομηνίας

4,95 στα 5 αστέρια από 38 κριτικές

Καθαριότητα
Ακρίβεια
Επικοινωνία
Τοποθεσία
Άφιξη
Τιμή

Πού θα βρίσκεστε

Oakworth, England, Ηνωμένο Βασίλειο

Oakworth is a village in West Yorkshire, England, near Keighley, by the River Worth. The name "Oakworth" indicates that the village was first established in a heavily wooded area.

Oakworth railway station is on the route of the Keighley and Worth Valley Railway and was a location in the film The Railway Children.

In the Domesday Book of 1086, Oakworth is called "Acurde" which translated into an Oak clearing. It was taxed on c120 acres (c50 hectares) of arable ploughland shared by the Vikings Vilts and Gamel Bern. Vilts also owned Newsholme and Utley; and Gamel Bern was of the family of noblemen that held the most land in Northern England. However, later, the Domesday Book states of Oakworth lands that "Gamal Bern had them; Gilbert Tison has them" for in the Harrying of the North all lands were taken from Anglo-Scandinavians and given to Norman Lords.

Bridge Flat @ Old Corn Mill sits in the designated area covered by Oakworth conservation area of historical interest:
• Oakworth is thought to be a settlement of some antiquity and may well be Saxon in origin. After the Conquest, the Manor of Oakworth was passed to a Norman Lord, Gilbert de Tison. Oakworth was noted in the Domesday Survey and is known to have been a large manor extending from Keighley to the Lancashire border. From the 13th century onwards the woodlands were systematically cleared in order to cultivate the land.
• Little is known of the early history of the settlement, though it is likely that Oakworth originally comprised of a cluster of small agricultural hamlets located around the main road along the Worth Valley. The tenants and freeholders in these settlements would have worked the land under an open field system and paid taxes and allegiance to the Lords of the Manor. From the 16th century onwards farmers began to supplement their income by the production of woollen cloth.
• By the early 19th century the Worth Valley was one of the main producers of woollen cloth in the district. Several worsted and cotton mills were constructed along the banks of the stream to the south of the village and cloth manufacture swiftly evolved from a small- scale cottage-based industry into an efficient mill-based concern. During this period the village expanded rapidly and a large number of houses, mainly in the form of terraces were built.
• Two non-conformist chapels were constructed in the early 19th century, followed by an Anglican chapel in 1846. Schools were established at an early date in the settlement, the first being the Methodist Free School at
Sykes Head in 1790, which was paid for by public subscription.
• Though sadly no longer standing, Oakworth House was a fine example of Victorian architecture and was built between 1864-74 for Sir Isaac Holden, creator of the world’s largest wool combing business and noted philanthropist. The house was built in an elegant Italianate style with hot houses and a large winter garden to the rear. The gardens and parklands of the house were locally renown and drew visitors from all over the district. Sadly the house burnt down in 1909 and the land was donated to the people of Oakworth in order to create a public park, now called Oakworth Park.
Oakworth is known to be a settlement of some antiquity and is probably of Anglo-Saxon origin. Historically, Oakworth fell within the ancient Wapentake of Staincliffe and Ewecross and was formerly a manor of substantial size, stretching from Keighley to the Lancastrian border.
The name ‘Oakworth’ is thought to be a derivative of an Old English term meaning ‘enclosure of oaks’ and was first mentioned in the Domesday Survey of 1086. Its entry has been translated to read as follows:
“Manor in Arcade (Oakworth) Gamelbar and William had one carucate to be taxed”
One ‘carucate’ is thought to equal around 100-120 acres in size. Following the Conquest, William divided the lands in the north of England between his Norman lords and knights and the manor at Oakworth, along with the neighbouring manor of Neuhuse (Newsholme) was passed to a Norman lord by the name of Gilbert de Tison (Keighley, 1879).
Though little is known of its early history it is thought that the Pennine landscape around the
8
10th century would have been mainly forested and habitation in the manor would have been sparse. By the time of the Conquest it is likely that some development had taken place in the Worth valley and that small settlements, perhaps no greater in size than a single farm holding, would have existed within the manors of Oakworth, Oxenhope and at Stanbury and Haworth. There is certainly evidence of an early open field system at Oakworth indicating that the land was enclosed and probably cultivated for farming and grazing purposes. However, it is likely that the population of the manors was very small until the middle ages as the relatively small amount of cultivated land would not have supported large communities. From the 13th century onwards major inroads were made into the ancient woodlands that cloaked the hills and valleys of the north of England. Vast swathes of woodland were systematically cleared in order to increase the land area under cultivation and for firewood (Keighley, 1879).
In 1316 the manor was passed to John de Vaux and then afterwards to the Copley family, who also owned lands at Batley and Oxenhope. By this time a permanent settlement had probably been established at Oakworth and that it may well have consisted of a handful of farmsteads and cottages scattered along the line of the ancient route between Lancashire and Keighley. The inhabitants of these early dwellings would have worked the land as tenants and paid allegiance and taxes to the Lord of Manor. Though some produce may have been sold at the market in Keighley, which was established in 1305 it is likely that Oakworth remained a small, almost self-sufficient farming community for many more centuries.
By the 16th century, the settlement’s reliance upon agriculture as a sole source of living began to diminish as the production of textiles became established on a greater scale. Prior to this time woollen cloth had always been manufactured in traditional textile producing towns such as York and Beverley, however rising costs in these centres meant that other smaller villages and towns started to produce cloth. Small scale cloth combing, spinning and weaving enterprises began to flourish in the West Yorkshire
towns of Leeds and Halifax. This was swiftly followed by the systematic development of the Pennine valleys and many farmers in these villages began to supplement their income by the production of woollen cloth. It was estimated (from evidence produced in a Court Case in 1612) that by the early 17th century there were 20,000 employed in the cloth trade around Bradford, Halifax and Keighley (Baumber, 1977).
The changing livelihoods and socio-economic structure of many of the Pennine villages during the 17th and 18th centuries impact not just upon the livelihoods of the residents but also upon the architecture of their buildings. Many farmers supplemented their incomes by combing and spinning wool in their own homes and indeed some families were entirely dependent on the cloth industry with each family member, young or old fully involved in the production of cloth to sell to merchants or at Piece Halls. Many families lived entirely in one, heated room in the property and retained the upper chambers of the building for spinning and weaving the woollen fibres. Many of the buildings constructed prior to the 19th century display features associated with this semi-industrial use and loading (taking-in) doors at first floor level are a common sight on older buildings, such as those around Dockroyd Farm.
Oakworth Hall is one of the oldest surviving buildings in the conservation area and was probably built around the end of the 17th century. The hall is a Grade II listed building and was probably built for a wealthy Yeoman farmer. It was owned by James Haggas in 1742, who probably bought it as a farm but used the outbuilding for textile manufacture and storage. Now in residential use, the buildings still display an interesting evolution of form that documents their previous agricultural and semi-industrial uses. The hall itself is an interesting example of the local vernacular building form and the cottages to the south still display details such as loading doors and external staircases to the upper floors of the buildings (Oakworth Village Society, 1997).
By the late 18th century wool and worsted manufacture was a major industry in the Worth Valley. In the early years of the Industrial Revolution Haworth, Oxenhope, Oakworth and Stanbury were in the forefront of the supply of processed wool, yarn and cloth in the district, second only to Bradford in terms of output of goods. The new ease of transport combined with the technological advancement of the age spurred on a change in the means of manufacture: the cottage-based industry, which had until this point
9

complemented the agricultural nature of the place, evolved into an increasingly efficient factory-based concern. Similar processes were occurring in many towns and villages throughout the country as a result of the advances of the Industrial Revolution and mills were built in abundance.
By the early 18th century there had been some improvements to the highways in the region with the introduction of the turnpike roads. Prior to this time the roads that transversed the valley were mainly unsurfaced packhorse tracks and footpaths of ancient origin. Oakworth had historically developed along the line of one of these ancient route ways and was located on one branch of the main road from Lancashire to Yorkshire. This road, which may have been partially setted with stone flags due to its relative importance as a principal route, was documented in one of the first records of the districts highways, a book by John Ogilby, written in 1675. The development of the toll roads in the middle of the 18th century created more direct routes between the industrial centres thus allowing the Worth valley industries to compete commercially with other cloth-producing centres. An early map of the district surveyed in 1775 shows Oakworth located to the north of the Colne to Keighley turnpike road (which runs through Stanbury and Haworth). Oakworth is identified as by its long linear form and consisted of around two-dozen buildings located to either side of the original Colne/Keighley Road.
Bottom of previous column: This extract from Jeffrey’s Map of Yorkshire, 1775 shows ‘Okeworth’ as a linear settlement scattered along the line of the road (Source: Bradford Library)
Prior to the 19th century Oakworth was made up of a number of separate agricultural and textile manufacturing communities roughly located along the line of the main road. The most populous of these communities were those around Lane Ends and Oakworth Hall. During the course of the 19th century the dramatic expansion of the settlement led to the coalescence of these communities and Oakworth developed into a definable village.
In the early 19th century a number of textile mills were built in and around the village, followed by large numbers of terraced housing for the workers that these mills required. The first mills were built along the banks of the beck that runs down the valley side to the south of the village. In the early years of the Industrial Revolution most of the mills were reliant upon the close proximity of running water that was used to power the water wheels. Engineering advances meant that by the mid-19th century most of the textile mills had been converted to run on steam power. The need to fuel the steam-generating engines resulted in a number of coal pits being dug on the moors above the village.

Οικοδεσπότης: Nicole

  1. Μέλος από: Νοέμβριος 2016
  • 362 Κριτικές
  • Η ταυτότητα επαληθεύτηκε
  • Superhost
Fun loving, working mother with 3 gorgeous children, and a forbearing husband. We love to travel, visit friends & family, drink, walk, eat, swim..... My motto is Work Hard, Play Harder.

Συνοικοδεσπότες

  • Jonquil
  • Darren

Κατά τη διάρκεια της διαμονής σας

We live on the premises - available to help as and when needed.

Ο/Η Nicole είναι Superhost

Οι Superhost είναι έμπειροι οικοδεσπότες με υψηλή αξιολόγηση, οι οποίοι δεσμεύονται να παρέχουν εξαιρετικές διαμονές στους επισκέπτες.
  • Ρυθμός απάντησης: 100%
  • Χρόνος απάντησης: εντός μιας ώρας
Για να προστατεύσετε την πληρωμή σας, μη μεταφέρετε ποτέ χρήματα και μην επικοινωνείτε εκτός του ιστότοπου ή της εφαρμογής της Airbnb.

Τι πρέπει να γνωρίζετε

Κανόνες Σπιτιού

Άφιξη: 3:00 μ.μ. - 12:00 π.μ.
Αναχώρηση: 11:00 π.μ.
Check-in χωρίς παρουσία οικοδεσπότη με κουτί φύλαξης κλειδιών
Απαγορεύεται το κάπνισμα
Ακατάλληλο για κατοικίδια
Απαγορεύονται τα πάρτι και οι εκδηλώσεις

Υγεία και ασφάλεια

Δέσμευση στη διαδικασία αυστηρού καθαρισμού της Airbnb. Περισσότερα
Ισχύουν οι οδηγίες της Airbnb για τους κανόνες αποστάσεων και άλλες οδηγίες που σχετίζονται με τη νόσο COVID-19
Υπερυψωμένος χώρος χωρίς κάγκελα ή προστατευτικό κιγκλίδωμα
Σύστημα αναρρίχησης ή παιχνιδιού
Συναγερμός μονοξειδίου του άνθρακα

Πολιτική ακύρωσης